Robert Watkins Regional Park MD, April 2010

April is national poetry month. Many of history's great poets were enthusiastic participants in full moon hikes, an activity that is often mentioned in their work. Shakespeare was particularly enamored of the full moon hike, to which no other muse could compare. From his Sonnet 18 :

Shall I compare thee to a moonlit hike?
Thou art less lovely and less temperate

Other famous poems to the full moon include Poe's The Ravine

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I wandered, free and cheery,
Over many a quaint and curious section of forgotten park,
While I ambled, nearly slowing, of moonlight there came a throwing,
As of some orb brightly glowing, glowing in the sky so dark.

and Frost's Stopping by Woods on a Full Moon Evening

The woods are lovely, clear and close,
And I have plans to be verbose,
And miles to go before I toast,
And miles to go before I toast.

Like the famous poets of old, we will meet at Anne's house at 8 pm and from there head out to the wilderness to celebrate the return of the Full Moon. As always, wine, transportation, and good company will be provided; friends, relatives, children, pets, significant others, and spice are invited; please let me know if you can drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment